Medium: Oil on canvas
Measurements: W 45cm x H 30cm
This piece is now sold.
Please contact us if you are looking to sell your fine art (19th-20th Century) – we are always looking to add quality pieces to our inventory.
The Langdale pikes by William Lakin Turner (1867-1936)
Please note the dimensions of this work when framed are approximately 61cm x 46cm
Provenance: Private collection, Cumbria Estate.
Condition: Please do not hesitate to contact us for a full condition report or further assistance.
William Lakin Turner
was born in 1867 in Barrow upon Trent, Derbyshire. He was educated locally before he boarded at Trent College. His talent for painting was inspired by his father, George Turner. His father was a part-time farmer but he also painted landscapes and had a number of successful students including David Payne and Louis Bosworth Hurt. He is not known to be related to the artist J. M. W. Turner, but his father was known as “Derbyshire’s John Constable”. Turner met his first wife Rachel Selina Burville whilst they were both studying art at West London College of Arts and they married in Chelsea in 1892.
Turner’s father served on the Art Committee of Derby Art Gallery and both his and his son’s paintings are included in the city’s collection. Turner lived at various places, including Fulham and Loughton, Essex, but is best known for his paintings of the Lake District, where he resided for at least twelve years.
William Lakin Turner displayed his work at several notable exhibitions. Turner exhibited hundreds of paintings including fourteen at The Royal Academy of Artists, four at the Royal Hibernian Academy and six in Birmingham. Between 1905 and 1936 he exhibited over 350 paintings at the Lake Artists Summer Exhibition as well as 81 paintings at the annual exhibition of art at Nottingham Castle. As a result, his paintings are available at the Museums in Nottingham, Nuneaton, Derby and the Ruskin Museum. Notable sales were to Beatrix Potter of a painting called Rydal Water which still hangs in her home which is owned by the National Trust and another which was used as a book cover.